The Nora Eccles Harrison Museum of Art was opened to the public in December 1982. Designed by Edward Larabee Barnes, the 23,000 square foot, four-level building shares an open sculpture plaza with the university's art, music, landscape architecture, and theater departments.
Specially designated exhibition spaces--the Marie Eccles Caine Gallery and the Nora Eccles Harrison Ceramics Gallery--present continuing exhibitions of artworks from the permanent collection. The museum's collection of more than 5,000 objects is one of the largest in the Intermountain West region and represents a century of collecting by Utah State University. Works in all media by modern and contemporary artists provide an extensive overview of creative endeavors from 1900 to the present day, with an emphasis on objects made by artists living or working in the western half of the United States.